CHAIRMAN'S NEWSLETTER - MAY 2011 -
5th of May 2011
Chairman’s Newsletter – May 2011
All the President’s men
- Congratulations to David Allen on his appointment as President of Gloucestershire County Cricket Club. As you all know, David was a professional with the County for many years and played for England, winning over 40 international caps, so David’s elevation is well merited.
- Congratulations again to David on his appointment by the Committee as President of Thornbury Cricket Club. It maybe not as prestigious as the county appointment, but reflects David’s contribution over many years to the Club as Head Coach and Chairman of Cricket.
- The new season opens on 7th May with the First XI away at Downend, the Seconds entertaining Keynsham and the Thirds away at Hampset. Good luck to all teams.
- We have played a few warm up matches to prepare ourselves for the season. These have gone very well, especially for Captain Trots, who hit a blistering 159 not out (with too many sixes to report) last week against a Gloucestershire County Select XI.
- We also welcome, from Australia, our overseas player, Steven Ford, to the Club. He has experience of English conditions having played for Westbury (Wilts) last season – even hitting a ton against us. We look forward to him helping us achieve our potential in WEPL Premier Division 1 this season.
- Over the winter, the Club has been training up more coaches to guide our youth section over the coming seasons. There are three new Level 2 coaches (Howard Marshall, John Wormwell and Joe Maiden and five new Level 1 coaches (Steve Hepple, Si Sond, Andrew Wilson, Dale Forder and Chris Messer). Congratulations to them all.
- Our youth section continues to be able to field teams from Under 9 to Under 17. This year, we also added a full programme of 40 over youth matches on a Sunday afternoon. Good luck Jon with finding space on the ground!
- And formal thanks to all those members who turned out on “Cricket Force” weekend to get the ground and pavilion in shape for the season. I think you’ll agree that it looks a picture. Well done to Jon Oakey and Toby Sunmmerfield for organising the weekend so well.
- The eagle eyed among you will have noticed that we have upgraded our two scoreboards. They are now integrated and with new technology. Very many thanks to our sponsors for the funding for this project.
- Not strictly Thornbury’s business, but you may like to know that two players form our affiliated women’s and girls’ club (Bristol Phoenix CC) have been selected to play for England in their indoor world cup competition in South Africa in October. Well done to Charlotte Walker and Fi Morris.
- And finally, if you like listening to Henry Blofeld, he is appearing at the Thornbury Arts Festival on May 15th. Why not go along? The last time I looked, tickets were still available.